Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Sunflowers

Sunflowers

    “Take me to America with you,” she said as tears filled her eyes and we hugged each other tightly. 

If only I could, I thought. This beautiful, widow woman from a tiny village in Romania had touched my heart in so many ways in the short time we were there on a mission trip. Even though she had very little to call her own, she gave to us out of an abundance of her love for Christ.  We had spent ten days in Traian Vuia, Romania visiting families, praying with the sick and old, and hosting backyard Bible clubs for the village children and their parents.  Sweet Maria was there every time the church doors were open. She always had a wide smile and ready laugh as she spoke to me through the interpreter. As we visited her home one day, we found her in her courtyard harvesting sunflower seeds with a long wooden dowel. She used the dowel to beat the back of the sunflower heads in order to shake loose the seeds onto a large blue tarp.  She eagerly showed me how to harvest the seeds and laughed with me as I successfully shook loose the first of the flower’s bounty. 

On our final day in the village, she asked the question. I pondered for a moment how to answer this question because the answer was important. I gently explained that I couldn’t take her with me, but that I would always carry her in my heart. Then she asked me when she would see me again. That answer came easily to me, but wasn’t an easy answer to give. I pointed upward and replied, “maybe not until Heaven, but we would have eternity to spend together then!” 

This beautiful little old lady taught me much about life.  She taught me how to work hard and find joy in the work.  She taught me how to feel rich when you have little. She taught me that you don’t have to speak the same language to communicate.  She taught me that saying goodbye isn’t forever when we belong to the family of God.  

I often wonder what happened to my friend, Maria.  I wonder if she thinks of the American lady as much as I think of the Romanian one. Her photo holds a place of honor in my office, and I enjoy telling others about wise Maria  who I will see again one day in Heaven.
Romans 10:14-15 says:
How then shall they call on Him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher?  And how shall they preach unless they are sent? As it is written:
“How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the gospel of peace,
Who bring glad tidings of good things!”
Goodbye doesn’t mean forever when we share faith in Christ. We can’t tarry in telling others who don’t believe.  Maria knew that while she toiled and suffered on this earth one day she would be in the presence of Jesus for eternity. Do you have that same assurance? Does your family? Your friends? We cannot wait to share the gospel in the hopes that someone else will share the good news. Eternity could begin tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment