Saturday, October 29, 2016

God is so Funny!

God is so funny!

God has an amazing sense of humor! What’s that? You don’t think it’s biblical? Well just look around you. Have you ever really looked at a duck-billed platypus? Or a blue footed booby? Ever smelled a corpse flower in full bloom? Creation has many examples of His humor. I can also testify as to how God has shown His sense of humor in my own life.
           
My dad was in the military and growing up my family didn’t do sports. They were never on the television, we didn’t do little league, and there was little throwing of a football around the front yard.  My three brothers showed no interest in organized sports. Wait, I take that back. Their favorite sport was terrorizing their little sister! My parents raised me to value education and to believe that I could be anything I wanted to be if I was willing to work for it. Early on I decided that I was going to be a surgeon. I wanted to devote my life to medicine and maybe I would marry one day, but would never bring children into this crazy world.  It was all about money and helping people for me.

Then God happened.

He showed up and showed me through a friend that I was NOT to become a doctor. Instead, I became a teacher. I still help people, but that whole money thing sure has changed. I also met the man of my dreams. He showed up in my life one summer and my life has never been the same. God game me a Godly man to be my lifemate. And guess what he does for a living? He’s a teacher and a COACH! That little girl who grew up hating sports married a coach!  But wait, there’s more. We have three beautiful boys--twins and a single. See that? God has a HUGE sense of humor. He looked at Liz’s plans and had a good chuckle!

You see the problem wasn’t with my plans. The problem was that I had completely left God out of them. I never asked Him what He wanted for me. Praise God for showing up and not leaving it up to me!


Have you ever done that? Instead of being angry that life didn't’ turn out the way you wanted it to, find the joy in just being who God wants you to be. Romans 15:13 speaks of this: “Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you believe in Him so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.” When we take our eyes off of our pity party and fix our eyes on Him, we begin to see how He is at work in our lives and peace and joy abound. I challenge to fix your eyes on Jesus today. Try to see things from His perspective. Find the joy in your circumstances and let God’s peace overflow in you.

No comments:

Post a Comment